The Legacy at Elliot Road — A Rich History
About St. Andrew’s Mission Hospital
- On October 18, 1913, compelled by compassion for the destitute women and children in Singapore, Dr Charlotte Ferguson-Davie, a medical doctor and the wife of Singapore’s first Anglican Bishop, founded St. Andrew’s Medical Mission. The Medical Mission later became known as St. Andrew’s Mission Hospital (SAMH).
- Today, SAMH is a non-profit voluntary welfare organisation whose services have expanded and evolved. Its services include:
- St. Andrew’s Autism Centre
- St. Andrew’s Community Hospital
- St. Andrew’s Lifestreams
- St. Andrew’s Mission Hospital Clinic
- St. Andrew’s Nursing Home
A light that shines in a dark place, that ignorance would be replaced by knowledge and understanding; physical distress by comfort and healing.
Milestones @ Elliot Road
- On 28 February 1939, His Excellency Sir Shenton Thomas, Governor of the Straits Settlements, officially opened St. Andrew’s Orthopaedic Hospital (SAOH), the first specialist paediatric hospital in Singapore, at Elliot Road. The hospital served children with tuberculosis of the bones and joints.
- In 1975, SOAH was renamed St. Andrew’s Hospital to better reflect the broader patient base it served, since tuberculosis was no longer a major issue by the 1970s.
- In March 1988, SAMH Board planned for a community hospital to provide medical and social services to convalescent, terminally ill or acutely distressed patients.
- On 19 February 1992, St. Andrew’s Community Hospital (SACH), the first of its kind in Singapore to provide subsidised intermediate care for patients who need continuing care after the initial phase of treatment at a general hospital, commenced operations at 1 Elliot Road.
- In 2002, with plans to relocate SACH next to Changi General Hospital so as to provide a continuum of care to patients, the Diocese of Singapore and SAMH began studying into possible services to continue to offer to the community at Elliot Road.
- In April 2005, SACH moved from Elliot Road to Simei, next to Changi General Hospital.
A New Work — Humble Beginnings
- On 11 April 2005, the Ministry of Community, Youth and Sports gave in-principle support for SAMH to run a Day Activity Centre (DAC) for youths and adults with disabilities.
- On 26 May 2005, the Ministry of Education gave in-principle approval for SAMH to operate a school for people with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- On 30 August 2005, the Ministry of Health informed SAMH that the Urban Redevelopment Authority and Singapore Land Authority had approved the conversion of the use of land at Elliot Road for an autism centre and school.
- In October 2005, St. Andrew’s Autism Centre (SAAC) set up an interim client service centre at level 10 of SACH.
- On 4 January 2006, the Day Activity Centre (DAC) at SAAC began providing services to four adult clients.
- On 1 February 2006, St. Andrew’s Autism School (SAAS) at SAAC began with an intake of two students.
- In 2008, DAC grew to serve 19 clients at a satellite centre at Bedok South Avenue 2.
- On 28 March 2009, guest of honour, Mr Abdullah Tarmugi graced the ground breaking ceremony for the construction of SAAC’s new facility at Elliot Road, in his capacity as Speaker of Parliament.
- On 8 June 2009, SAAS relocated to a temporary site at Guillemard Crescent to allow for an expanded intake.
- On 29 March 2011, His Excellency Mr S R Nathan, the President of the Republic of Singapore (1999 to 2011), officially opened SAAC at Elliot Road.
- In July 2011, St. Andrew’s Mission Hospital Clinic (Elliot Road) opened and began providing medical services.
- On 20 April 2013, due to the significant role the site at Elliot Road has played for much of SAMH’s long history, a tree was planted there as a symbol of 100 years of service to the community.